Share this page using these social links!
The Penguin Ball
Follow along with the lyrics as you listen to the accompaniment with melody guide for The Penguin Ball
Donna & Andy recorded tracks include the 16-bar instrumental verse.
Piano accompaniment tracks do not include an instrumental verse.
The Penguin Ball is one of 12 songs from the award-winning song collection "Computer Cat". Donna Rhodenizer has written these songs in a variety of styles and skill levels for singers from ages 5-12+.
Learn more about this fun collection for elementary-aged kids, choirs and solo vocal students. The 93-page book provides the vocal score, full score and separate lyrics pages for 12 songs. Enjoy!
Please note: audio tracks for the e-book version are sold separately. Print copies of the book include CD (24 tracks)
Stream or Purchase from many streaming sites including:
Spotify, Apple Music, iTunes, Amazon, Pandora, Deezer.
Get audio tracks and activities with a Donna & Andy Membership
The Computer Cat CD (Donna & Andy performance and instrumental) tracks (24) are available for download or physical CD on this website.
- Read the lyrics aloud to discover the descriptive words that will be highlighted as you explore the art of expressive singing.
- Discuss how to use clear consonants and rounded vowels to sing the words expressively.
- Use dynamics to create the mood changes that occur in the story of the song.
Teach 3/4 meter
- Step on beat one of every measure to experience the swaying, waltz feel of 3/4 meter.
- Practice a 3-beat conducting pattern as you listen to the song, or divide the class with some students conducting while others sing. Switch groups.
- Add colourful scarves, moving them on beat one of each bar for kinesthetic and visual reinforcement of the swaying movement of 3/4 time.
Explore musical phrases
- Discover how many phrases are in the opening chorus.
- Have the children move one hand in a rainbow shape to show the shape of each phrase as they listen to the song.
Create a penguin “unit”
- Sing all four of Donna’s penguin songs: The Penguin Ball, I Wonder, Penguin Parade and Pondering Penguins.
- Create a presentation for invited guests (family members, administrators, another class)
- Add costumes.
- Share penguin facts between each song.
I wrote The Penguin Ball after a request from a teacher at my school who was doing a penguin unit with her students. She asked me for a penguin song and I didn’t know any, so I wrote my own! When her students came to my music class they told me lots of penguin facts to give me ideas for my songs. I discovered that penguins are amazing creatures. The conditions in which they live and the way they survive, live, and raise their babies are all fascinating.
With all the facts I discovered, I had enough ideas to write four penguin songs! The Penguin Ball is an imaginative depiction of how penguins might spend their moonlit evenings. How romantic to waltz together at the “Penguin Ball”. I can see those penguins sadly saying goodnight as they waddle home to go to sleep.
You are invited to send us your performance of The Penguin Ball.
Maybe your video will be featured here on this page.
When you have enjoyed practicing and performing this song with your students - please drop by again and leave a Review on this page. Thanks!